The best method to eat the fresh food items like fresh vegetables and fruits is to purchase them fresh every time from the market. But this is not possible always as most of us run low on the time. So the only option we get to eat fresh fruits and vegetables is to store them in the refrigerator.
Importance of refrigerators:
It is true that the refrigerator prevents food from going bad. But when it comes to maintain prolonged freshness of these foods, the refrigerator always backfires. Every vegetable or fruit has different taste and shelf life. We often grow up listening to the common rule that we should put all the things in the refrigerator that we don’t want to spoil. But apart from this traditionally evolved rule of storing food items, there are some food items that are exceptions and these lose the quality while chilled. Let’s have the details about the food items that should not be stored in the refrigerators.
- Potatoes: This vegetable should be stored best at the room temperature. Therefore, these should not be dumped in the refrigerator ever. In case you store these in a cold temperature, the starches in these convert into the sugar quickly. This thing leaves an effect on the texture as well as on the flavor of the potatoes that becomes oddly sweet and not-so-relishing. So, it is better to store these potatoes is to keep them at the room temperatures. But the best method to stock up these is to keep these in a paper bag as it will let the potatoes breath.
- Onion: Likewise potatoes, the onions should not be stored in the refrigerator. As the onions are prone to go bad if stored in the low temperature. The texture will go bad and the onions will become soft while losing the desired crispiness. Besides, while storing in the fridge, the flavor and the aroma of the onions also lose. So, the best option to keep the onions in the room temperature and at the dry places.
- Tomatoes: If you store this vegetable in the refrigerator, they will become very mushy. Besides, the tomatoes lose the retention while being stored in the cold temperature. This thing results in losing the fresh and rich flavors of these tomatoes. So, it is better to store the tomatoes at the room temperature in the kitchen counter, away from the direct heat and sunlight. Otherwise, the tomatoes will spoil quickly.
- Parsley, Basil and Cilantro: Likewise tomatoes, these herbs also prefer heated temperature. You can treat these as a bunch of freshly cut flowers and store these herbs in the water as these taste the best while stored in the room temperatures. Change the water in every few days and remember to keep these away from the direct sunlight.
- Bananas: You should never store the bananas in the refrigerators. Though these will not spoil from inside, but the outer skin of the bananas will become mushy and black. So, it is better to store these at the room temperature.
So, from the next time when you store the food items in the refrigerator, remember to keep these foods aside. Store them in the kitchen and enjoy the freshness.
Photo credit : virtualwayfarer